Senior Software Developer
Share data responsibly. Make better decisions faster. Whether you’re drowning in data or thirsting for insights, PHEMI helps you out-innovate and execute your growth objectives faster than your competition. Organizations that choose PHEMI mine complex data and unlock new and actionable insights. Insurance, financial services and healthcare organizations can achieve dramatic improvements in operational efficiencies, omnichannel customer insights, and medical cohort analysis while maintaining compliance imperatives.
Our flagship product, PHEMI Central is a new class of data management software that brings enterprise-grade privacy, security and governance to sensitive and big data. Named Gartner Cool Vendor and Deloitte Technology Fast 50, PHEMI is the first vendor to bring real-time policy-based privacy enforcement and data governance to big data.
As a senior member of our R&D team, you play an integral role in creating extraordinary solutions, embracing new challenges. Working within an agile team, you work collaboratively to deliver user-stories in a timely manner with high quality.
- Design and implement software components to meet defined requirements
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members to continuously improve our products and development processes
- Implement automated tests
- Fix identified defects
Required Skills and Abilities
- Thorough understanding of Java and at least 1 dynamic language (Python preferred)
- Practical knowledge of Linux operating system
- Sound knowledge of distributed client/server applications
- Excellent interpersonal communication (verbal and written)
- Ability to balance multiple priorities
- Ability to work cohesively in a team environment
Professional Qualifications and Experience
- 10+ years’ experience designing and implementing distributed applications, data structures and algorithms
- BSc. Computer Science, Mathematics, Software Engineering or related field or experience
- Experience working with Accumulo and Hadoop is preferred
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development environment with Continuous Integration is an asset (Jenkins CI is preferred)
- Experience with large scale distributed systems is required (e.g., HPC and big data technologies)
Why you should join
We know you’re super-smart and driven, but PHEMI is one of those rare Vancouver-based companies where you can work on really cool technology, collaborate with other crazy-smart people, and also make a real difference in the world.
Cool Technology: At PHEMI, you’ll get to work with various big data technologies like Hadoop and MongoDB; data science tools like Spark MLlib, Apache Zeppelin and H2O; and push the envelope in advancing the state of the art in sharing data with industry-leading privacy, security and governance.
Crazy-Smart People: Our growing team of crazy-smart developers has many years of big data and complex systems engineering expertise. They’re supported by a PHEMI leadership team that includes some of the most innovative and experienced entrepreneurs in BC who have successfully founded and grown several startups that have generated over $1 billion in shareholder value. The team is rounded out with strong sales & marketing leadership and battle-hardened storage, data warehouse, data science and medical domain expertise. You’ll be hard-pressed to find a team like this in BC, for sure, but we also like to get together for a beer, gourmet potluck meals, a round of dodge ball or a pumpkin carving competition.
Making a difference: Our customers traditionally use around 10% of available data in day-to-day decision-making. And with your help, we’re harnessing the other 90% to make better decisions faster. We are thrilled at the prospect of helping our customers save lives by enabling their medical research, finding better treatment protocols, and improving the delivery of health care. We don’t stop there, of course. Our customers use PHEMI systems for their insurance and financial service businesses to improve call center efficiency, understand their customer journey, develop new products, improve customer satisfaction, and so much more.