Senior Software Developer
PHEMI brings privacy, performance, and enterprise-grade management to big data. Our flagship product, PHEMI Central lets organizations easily access and mine any variety of data at any volume — driving insights that lower costs, improve outcomes, and allow better decisions faster. PHEMI Central’s fine-grained access controls automatically enforce data sharing agreements and privacy policies at the data cell level. With PHEMI, enterprises are able to remove critical roadblocks and realize their potential as data-driven organizations.
As part of the R&D team, you play an integral role in creating extraordinary solutions, embracing new challenges. Working within an agile team, you work collaboratively to deliver user-stories in a timely manner with high quality. You have the drive and keenness to lead innovation of solutions.
- Design and implement software components to meet defined requirements
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members to continuously improve our products and development processes
- Implement automated tests
- Fix identified defects
Required Skills and Abilities
- Thorough understanding of Java
- Practical knowledge of Linux operating system
- Sound knowledge of distributed client/server applications
- Experience with large scale distributed systems is required (e.g., HPC and big data technologies)
- Excellent interpersonal communication (verbal and written)
- Ability to balance multiple priorities
- Ability to work cohesively in a team environment
- Ability to design robust, scalable and performant solutions to complex problems
Preferred Skills and Abilities
- Experience working with Big Data technologies: Accumulo, Hadoop, and Spark
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development environment with Continuous Integration is an asset (Jenkins CI is preferred)
- Experience working with cloud technologies: AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud
Professional Qualifications and Experience
- 8 or more years experience designing and implementing distributed applications, data structures and algorithms
- BSc. Computer Science, Mathematics, Software Engineering or related field or experience
Why you should join
We’re on a roll! PHEMI continues to receive recognition around the world. PHEMI was named a 2017 Cool Vendor in Healthcare by Gartner – the world’s largest independent research firm, and again placed on “Ready to Rocket’s” list for Digital Health; this follows our place on last year’s “Ready to Rocket” list as one of BC’s technology companies with the highest growth potential. In 2016 we received a Datanami Readers’ and Editors’ Choice Award for “Best Big Data Innovator: Data Management.” PHEMI is a SC Magazine 2016 Trust Award Finalist, one of Network World’s 2016 “big data and analytics companies to watch,” and one of CB Insights’ 2016 “13 Early-Stage Startups to Watch in Canada.” In 2015, PHEMI was recognized by Deloitte’s Technology Fast 50™ “Company to Watch” Award.
There’s never been a better time to join PHEMI, and there are even bigger things to come. Our leadership team has taken numerous early stage companies to great commercial success and our technology team is second to none. We’re energetic and dedicated collaborators, committed to changing how industries discover and drive value from their data. We encourage our employees to stretch their boundaries and develop innovative solutions. We regularly celebrate our successes with pizza, popsicles, relay races, and dodgeball tournaments!