Data Engineer

Status

Full Time

Job Description

About PHEMI

PHEMI helps organizations become more data-driven by sharing sensitive data responsibly. Whether you’re drowning in data or thirsty for insights, PHEMI helps you build a library of analytics-ready data to harness your assets and make better decisions faster. We help organizations derive actionable insights from omnichannel customer journey analysis, customer 360 targeting and segmentation, call center optimization, and organizing complex clinical records, medical text and genomics.

Our flagship product, PHEMI Central, is a new class of data management software that brings enterprise-grade privacy, security and governance to big data. Named Gartner Cool Vendor and Deloitte Technology Fast 50, PHEMI is the first vendor to bring real-time policy-based privacy enforcement and data governance to big data. For more information, visit us at www.phemi.com.

Job Description

In this role you will work closely with sales and product management to understand customer requirements and describe what is possible with your innovations. The position will include a mix of data engineering, data science and application software development work. As a data engineer you will be responsible for integrating and exploring data analytical libraries and developing code for data cleaning and pre-processing. As a data scientist, you will be responsible for working with PHEMI’s clients and assisting them in building data science solutions on top of PHEMI Central.

Responsibilities

  • Develop and maintain applications in Java and Scala
  • Build Zeppelin/Spark notebooks
  • Conduct Spark benchmarking and performance tuning
  • Keep abreast with the latest data analytics tools and libraries
  • Collaborate with cross-function team members
  • Continuously improve our products, tools and development processes
  • Maintain stakeholder communication to understand their requirements

Required Skills

  • Proficiency in Java, Scala, Spark and JVM ecosystem
  • Good understanding of Hadoop and distributed processing
  • Proficiency in Spark SQL
  • Familiarity with Spark MLlib, statistics, and Spark streaming
  • Knowledge of Linux operating system
  • Ability to work cohesively in a team environment
  • Strong communication skills, able to give customer-facing presentations

Preferred Skills

  • Exposure to working with Python and R
  • Understanding of object oriented software development concepts
  • Understanding of deployment tools like Docker and Ansible
  • Experience with web application frameworks like AngularJS and VueJS

Professional Qualifications & Experience

  • Degree or diploma in Computer Science, Software engineering or a related field
  • 1 year or more of production experience with Spark on Data Science projects
  • Please provide a link to your project portfolio with your application

Why you should join

Cool Technology:  At PHEMI, you’ll get to work with various big data technologies like Accumulo/Hadoop and NiFi; data science tools like Spark, Apache Zeppelin and H2O; and push the envelope in advancing the state of the art in sharing data with industry-leading privacy, security and governance.

Smart People: Our growing team of developers has many years of big data and complex systems engineering expertise. They’re supported by a PHEMI leadership team that includes some of the most innovative and experienced entrepreneurs in BC who have successfully founded and grown several startups that have generated over $1 billion in shareholder value.  The team is rounded out with strong sales & marketing leadership and battle-hardened storage, data warehouse, data science and medical domain expertise.  You’ll be hard-pressed to find a team like this in BC, for sure, but we also like to get together for a beer, gourmet potluck meals, a round of dodge ball or a pumpkin carving competition.

Making a difference:  Our customers traditionally use around 10% of available data in day-to-day decision-making.  And with your help, we’re harnessing the other 90% to make better decisions faster.  We are thrilled at the prospect of helping our customers save lives by enabling their medical research, finding better treatment protocols, and improving the delivery of health care. We don’t stop there, of course. Our customers use PHEMI systems for their insurance and financial service businesses to improve call center efficiency, understand their customer journey, develop new products, improve customer satisfaction, and so much more.

Great people. Great technology. Great opportunity.  Come join us! Apply to PHEMI todayFor more information, explore our website and follow us on Twitter. We can’t wait to hear from you.

Apply Now!