As part of the R&D team, you play an integral role in creating extraordinary solutions, embracing new challenges. Working within an agile team, you work collaboratively to deliver user-stories in a timely manner with high quality. You have the drive and keenness to lead innovation of solutions.
- Design and implement software components to meet defined requirements
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members to continuously improve our products and development processes
- Implement automated tests
- Fix identified defects
Required Skills & Abilities
- Thorough understanding of Java
- Practical knowledge of Linux operating system
- Sound knowledge of distributed client/server applications
- Experience with large scale distributed systems is required (e.g., HPC and big data technologies)
- Excellent interpersonal communication (verbal and written)
- Ability to balance multiple priorities
- Ability to work cohesively in a team environment
- Ability to design robust, scalable and performant solutions to complex problems
- Experience working with Big Data technologies: Accumulo, Hadoop, and Spark
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development environment with Continuous Integration is an asset (Jenkins CI is preferred)
- Experience working with cloud technologies: AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud
Professional Qualifications & Experience
- 8 or more years experience designing and implementing distributed applications, data structures and algorithms
- BSc. Computer Science, Mathematics, Software Engineering or related field or experience
Please provide a link to your project portfolio with your application
Why you should join
Leading Edge Technology
At PHEMI, you’ll get to work with various big data technologies like Accumulo/Hadoop and NiFi; data science tools like Spark, Apache Zeppelin and H2O; and push the envelope in advancing the state of the art in sharing data with industry-leading privacy, security and governance.
Our growing team of developers has many years of big data and complex systems engineering expertise. They’re supported by a PHEMI leadership team that includes some of the most innovative and experienced entrepreneurs in BC who have successfully founded and grown several startups that have generated over $1 billion in shareholder value. The team is rounded out with strong sales & marketing leadership and battle-hardened storage, data warehouse, data science and medical domain expertise. You’ll be hard-pressed to find a team like this in BC, for sure, but we also like to get together for a beer, gourmet potluck meals, a round of dodge ball or a pumpkin carving competition.
Making a difference
Our customers traditionally use around 10% of available data in day-to-day decision-making. And with your help, we’re harnessing the other 90% to make better decisions faster. We are thrilled at the prospect of helping our customers save lives by enabling their medical research, finding better treatment protocols, and improving the delivery of health care. We don’t stop there, of course. Our customers use PHEMI systems for their insurance and financial service businesses to improve call center efficiency, understand their customer journey, develop new products, improve customer satisfaction, and so much more.