Senior Technical Writer
PHEMI is at the nexus of all key trends in Big Data. Governance is critical to attracting the most valuable data and privacy and security are now a must-have for enterprise GDPR. PHEMI helps organizations become more data-driven by sharing sensitive data responsibly. Whether you’re drowning in data or thirsty for insights, PHEMI helps you build a library of analytics-ready data to harness your assets and make better decisions faster. We help organizations derive actionable insights from omnichannel customer journey analysis, customer 360 targeting and segmentation, call center optimization, and organizing private data such as complex clinical records, medical text and genomics.
Our flagship product, PHEMI Central, is a new class of data management software that brings enterprise-grade privacy, security and governance to big data. Named Gartner Cool Vendor and Deloitte Technology Fast 50, PHEMI is the first vendor to bring real-time policy-based privacy enforcement and data governance to big data. For more information, visit us at www.phemi.com.
As our Senior Technical Writer you will be an integral part of our Research and Development team. You will work closely with cross-functional teams including product managers, software developers, quality assurance engineers and support specialists to ensure delivery of high-quality and effective documentation. You will prepare and maintain all technical documentation, including User Guides, IT Administration Guides, Java and REST API References, and Release Notes.
- Autonomously research, plan, develop, organize, and write product documentation
- Accurately reproduce style guidelines
- Be able to engineer content for different guides, using existing single-sourcing mechanisms, achieving re-use across several manuals
- Work with Agile teams, Product Management, and Support Personnel to determine customer facing vs internal information
- Use multiple kinds of product interfaces (e.g., GUI, admin consoles, scripts, REST APIs) to become familiar with the product and modify test system configuration information in order to obtain appropriate screen shots
- Produce PDF and HTML versions of the documentation
- Research feature requirements, background information, and development documents in order to minimize the burden on internal resources
- Provide technical editing and writing support to Marketing, Sales and Sales Engineering (e.g., white papers, data sheets, use cases, blog articles, web site, training, presentations, RFP, RFI, SoW)
Required Skills and Abilities
- Experience with highly technical and complex products and the ability to learn and understand new technologies
- Competency in DITA XML and OxygenXML using a customized transform over DITA OT 2.x
- Proficiency in Linux
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong organizational, planning and analytical skills
- Ability to document APIs
- Ability to create diagrams, training materials and tutorials
Preferred Skills and Abilities
- Experience with big data or distributed computing
- Experience using Postman and Swagger or another specification language
- Experience code-reviewing for user messages
- Ability to build and maintain documentation generation pipeline
Professional Qualifications and Experience
- 7+ years of technical writing experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related area
- Technical Communications certificate is desirable
- Must be a master of the English language and be able to produce high quality reports and documentation in English, with a strong aptitude for understanding and explaining technical information
- Experience working with cross-functional teams
Why you should join
We know you’re super-smart and driven, but PHEMI is one of those rare Vancouver-based companies where you can work on really cool technology, collaborate with other crazy-smart people, and also make a real difference in the world.
Cool Technology: At PHEMI, you’ll get to work with various big data technologies like Accumulo/Hadoop and NiFi; data science tools like Spark, Apache Zeppelin and H2O; and push the envelope in advancing the state of the art in sharing data with industry-leading privacy, security and governance.
Crazy-Smart People: Our growing team of crazy-smart developers has many years of big data and complex systems engineering expertise. They’re supported by a PHEMI leadership team that includes some of the most innovative and experienced entrepreneurs in BC who have successfully founded and grown several startups that have generated over $1 billion in shareholder value. The team is rounded out with strong sales & marketing leadership and battle-hardened storage, data warehouse, data science and medical domain expertise. You’ll be hard-pressed to find a team like this in BC, for sure, but we also like to get together for a beer, gourmet potluck meals, a round of dodge ball or a pumpkin carving competition.
Making a difference: Our customers traditionally use around 10% of available data in day-to-day decision-making. And with your help, we’re harnessing the other 90% to make better decisions faster. We are thrilled at the prospect of helping our customers save lives by enabling their medical research, finding better treatment protocols, and improving the delivery of health care. We don’t stop there, of course. Our customers use PHEMI systems for their insurance and financial service businesses to improve call center efficiency, understand their customer journey, develop new products, improve customer satisfaction, and so much more.
For more information, explore our website and follow us on Twitter.
Great people! Great technology! Great opportunity!